Sunday, June 5, 2011

Can I just move here now?


This weekend in the UK has been incredible and very enlightening as a matter of fact.

I decided during the week that I wanted to take a day trip to somewhere outside of London. A girl that I met from the first BUNAC Orientation and I had been talking about doing one together in order to satisfy our outside London touristy eagerness. We chose Stonehenge and Bath. So yesterday morning I got up at 6:50 am in order to give myself a good amount of time to get ready and over to the Baker Street for the pick up. Of course, stopped into the Starbucks that was right next to where the bus was to stop.

Alexandra, the Anderson tour guide, was so sweet. Whenever she spoke about history or anything, you just loved listening to her, she was so consoling. When Sarah and I checked in, she giggled over us two friends going together and both having the same name. Power in (name) numbers. What can we say?

Stonehenge was our primary destination. The surrounding area of Stonehenge is incredibly and obviously green. It was very windy around the Stonehenge exhibit, more so probably because of the wide-open area. Interesting facts I learned with the help of our audio guides and tour guide: Built between 3100-1100 BCE/ 2 types of stone used in its construction: bluestone and the Sarsen stones/ Estimated that the construction required more than 30 million hours of labor/ It was used simultaneously for both astronomical observation and ritual function.




Next was the Gregorian City of Bath. Here, the beautiful Cotswold stone and the classical elegance of the 18th century fashion have conspired to create one the world’s most astounding cityscapes. The golden light of the summer sun on the city of Bath was astonishing and breathtaking when we first caught sight of the city. We toured around Bath on the Anderson tour bus, exploring all parts of the spectacular city. The Circus was my favorite part of this bus tour. Next, we returned to the central square of Bath, departed the bus and waited for our tour of the Roman Baths.

First and foremost, I was advised not to put my hands, feet, or body into the water. I was a bit confused at first about the “Ah!” factor of the Roman Baths. I did not quite understand the significance, but learned a bit of it as I listened to the guide.  I loved the ancient stone pathways that we walked on around the Roman Baths. After maybe fifteen minutes in the Roman Baths exhibit we scooted out to explore the quaint city of Bath.

Exiting the Baths, we saw observed the Bath Abbey, a Norman church. Sarah and I walked down a few streets, stopping a few times to wonder over what the venders offered. As we were walking along one sidewalk, I spotted Jamie’s Italian. Once the words below, “A Jamie Oliver Restaurant”, confirmed it was in fact a Jamie Oliver restaurant, I knew this was our lunch spot.

Sarah was so funny when we walked up to the host counter. He said, “15 minutes wait” and she responded, “Really, that long?” He followed, “That’s short for us. You’re welcome to enjoy a drink while you wait.” We agreed, went to the bar and ordered two Florence Fizz drinks. Delicious and refreshing. The restaurant is housed in a beautiful Georgian building, right in the heart of the city, creating an inviting environment.

I’m not certain how we did it, must be our charm, but we were placed at a great spot in the restaurant. Upstairs. Out on the rooftop with an impressive views and the sun.  Sitting at the table, I had to remind myself that I was in a little city of England versus at a villa in Italy. I loved the neighborhood feel of the restaurant. The environment was a relaxing one, where people were enjoying one another’s company. Another great aspect of the restaurant: it was affordable and accessible. It was a place where anyone is welcome and everyone felt comfortable.

Bath is such a beautiful setting for this restaurant. Not only did I not know it was here, but I wouldn’t have expected it either. Well, what a wonderful and yummy surprise! The food was exceptional. Simple, rustic, fresh and colorful. Sarah ordered the Prosciutto, Pear and Pecorino Salad and I ordered the Gigli Primavera (young spring vegetables with plump tomatoes served with grated ricotta). I have always just liked Jamie Oliver as a chef, and activist with his “Food Revolution”. Yet after a wonderful experience at his restaurant, in a country I come to love more and more each day, I admire him now and wish him all the best! Jamie’s Italian is sensible, enjoyable, natural and driven towards quality.

After lunch, we walked and walked the city of Bath. No particular destination in mind. Just exploring this unique gem of a city. Most buildings in Bath are made from the local, golden-colored stone. Georgian is the dominant style of architecture in Bath. It was such a captivating area. I felt as if I had escaped to a little paradise of the UK for a short time.  Walking and gazing made us thirsty so we stopped in at The Huntsman for a pint. Then we boarded to Anderson tour bus and headed back to London.  

Sunday. Funday.

Started the day with a commute to Googe Street for the quickest walk to Odge Steet. There at 8 Odge Street we attended mass at St. Charles B. Cute church and we observed the post-Vatican II changes made. The woman we asked to take our picture outside the church (a Sunday ritual) was so sweet! She asked us what the significance of our picture and therefore visit was. Bouncing comments off each other we came up we a decent response. Note: You will meet people in London who are inviting, warm and helpful and others you meet, or don’t really, are stubborn and standoffish.  

We had lunch at Argyll Arms.! The location of the Argyll Arms makes the pub a sure thing with the lunchtime crowd. The décor of the restaurant appeals to history fanatics, especially with pictures of Kings and Queens. Evaluation of the service? Great. Waiter? Cute! He was friendly and served us with a smile! Justine ordered the Chicken and Chorizo Skewers and I the Fishcakes (made with salmon and broccoli). Following a quick stop in at Top Shop (and wishing I owned everything in there) we proceeded to Liverpool Street, in search of the Spitalfields Market.

Spitalfields Market was amazing, amusing, and overwhelming at the same time. The market provides fashion, antiques and food; offering vividly colored creations and the talents of such creative individuals. The restaurants surrounding the markets are so intriguing and alluring. I wanted to go into each one and explore the wonders of it. The afternoon of exploring the Spitalfields Market was incredible. We were just in awe over the multitude of designers and sellers. Its hard to illustrate the complexity of what we saw. Guess you will just have to come to London to see it! =P

A long day of market shopping in London called for a pint. Following a detour through Petticoat Market (which was sketch x 1000) we ended up on the main road. Eyeing the first normal pub we stopped in at Woodin’s Shades. There were two guys next to us that said “Ladies first” when we got to the bar. We ordered a delicious cider on tap. I will say it here because I said it to myself in mass this morning: I am so grateful for the amazing experiences that I am having in London. Furthermore, Justine is a true blessing. Part of the reason why I became so comfortable in London so quickly was definitely because of her; she is a one of kind gal and my London adventure bestie!

That’s all from the London for now. Back to interning tomorrow. And tomorrow night, drum roll please…
I see my family! Mom, Dad, Grandmom and Nan are in London!

Incredibly knackered. Update you all as the week goes on!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment