Sunday, June 19, 2011

Electricity

Thursday

After work my office friends and a few of us flat mates went to a Parliamentary Researcher Reception at the Red Lion. Luckily its only one minute from 1 Parliament Street.  The reception was held by ACS: Association of Convenience Stores. ACS supports its members through lobbying, advice on legislation and issues that affect retailers and through learning and networking events. ACS, at its core, provides a range of services designed specifically for local shops to help them develop their businesses. When I was at the bar, which was providing complementary wine, I started chatting with this guy James. He has been the ACS Chief Executive since 2006. He’s a graduate of University of Essex. We talked a lot about the ACS organization, where one goes from getting a degree at a university, networking, and many other things. Later I chatted with Shane, the Public Affairs Director for ACS. We talked about the multiple media outlets available today and how to excel in using them. I’m looking forward to attending another ACS event on Monday. From what I got from talking to some of the directors, there are some powerful networking opportunities available through ACS.

Friday

Constituency visit!

After multiple transfers and crowding on the Tube, I finally got to Tower Hill and walked to Fenchurch Street Station. Boarded the C2C train towards Shoeburyness and got off at Leigh-on-Sea. Gareth was there to pick me up in his beautiful red car! He drove me all around Leigh; saw all the beautiful Victorian style homes, adorable independently owned shops and boutiques, cute cafes, and all the wonders along the coast. Leigh is in the county of Essex. Southend-on-Sea, which Leigh is considered a town of, is a seaside resort in Essex. Southend-West, where David is the MP has an electorate of about 68,000.

       

After a drive around we quickly stopped into the constituency office. Press releases needed to be sent from the Westminster office and updated on the board in Leigh. Meet and greet (European style) with Ginger Spice was certainly in that group of PRs. Gareth then took me to an adorable corner bakery/ diner. We enjoyed a delicious lunch and the waiters were so cheerful and kind.  Thank goodness we got some fuel in us because we were in for a long surgery. The surgery lasted from 14:00-18:00. It really hit me when the first and following constituents came in. I knew their last names from sending them responses we had received from corresponding departments. Reading their names day after day and then actually meeting them was surreal. It made the problems that they were having real to me – no longer just on a sheet of paper and folded inside an envelope. The people that work in the office during surgery time, Margory, Richard, and Julian are really kind. I had to go into the office across from the surgery room from time to time to copy documents that the constituents brought. Whenever I was in there they were so eager to ask me questions about my time interning here and living here and my university education. Margory, who had the cutest hot pink colored nails, asked me if I wanted coffee or tea. She wanted to make sure it was just the way I liked it. She was such a darling.  

Obviously I cannot go into great detail here, publicly, about the issues discussed with the constituents. Although I will tell you they were wide-ranging: tax exemptions and benefits, immigration, council issues, criminal records, and housing problems. There were a few times where a name came up more than once, not in a positive context, indicating there is a greater issue here and some greater action needs to be taken. I took extensive notes, learning from Gareth what was important to highlight. Whenever the constituent looked at me, I thought it was valuable for me to make them feel comfortable.

Since I made the trip all the way down to Leigh, David wanted to take me with him on a few trips following surgery. Him, Julian and myself first went to a Tennis Club where the best of Southend and the best of a county Poland were meeting up for a tournament in Leigh for the weekend. David drew attention to how tennis needs a revival and he wants to help the club promote its activities more. We next stopped by the Mughal Dynasty restaurant. David had chosen the restaurant to represent Southend West. The restaurant won a place in the regional finals of the Lyca Tiffin Cup 2011. The national competition is held each year to find the best South Asian restaurant in the country, and this year 60 restaurants were nominated. MD will now represent Southeast London in the Lyca Tiffin Cup Grand Final. There has never been a more important time for small local restaurants to invest in the effectiveness of their customer service and sales. During these uncertain economic times, it was really a wonderful sight to see this small restaurant, whose service is impeccable and food extremely flavorful, excelling in this national competition. Next was a quick stop at Elliot’s house (or his bungalow), where I ran in to pick up some documents from the Westminster office. Then we went to David’s house! I got to meet two of his five children, Sarah and David, who are a little older than me. I was delighted to meet them. It really hit me, the entire realm of my Parliamentary experience here in London, when I was sitting in David’s living room chatting with Julian as we waited for David. Next we made a stop at a friend’s house nearby to drop off an anniversary gift. David was leaving for Paris Saturday morning so he wanted to make sure they got their gift before he left. Cliff’s Pavilion was our next stop for South East Essex Schools' Music Association Festival. Thirteen local school choruses (totaling about 400 children) sang their hearts out. The theme was the association's greatest hits. There was also a children’s orchestra, compiled from about five schools, playing their instruments in addition to a few older professionals. The performance was fantastic! The whole arena was filled! Our seats were great too; the foremost box seat along the side. One of the songs they sang, from one of the greatest Broadway shows I’ve seen, made me think about my experience here. The song was “Electricity” from Billy Elliot. It made me think of how this experience has opened up many doors for me and I’m tapping into my potential. I’m eager to push myself to greater heights. I’ve been given the opportunity here to learn more about myself.

And then I feel a change, like a fire deep inside
Something bursting me wide open;, impossible to hide
And suddenly I’m flying, flying like a bird
Like electricity, electricity
Sparks inside of me, and I’m free, I’m free

It was close to 22:00 when we left the concert. David had planned on taking Julian and I to another event. But since it was getting late, and the c2c train was going to take at least 40 minutes and then the tube commute to from Tower Hill to Kilburn 30 minutes, at least, I suggested he drop me off at the Leigh-on-Sea station. The commute was fine and I got back to Kilburn at about midnight. Chatted with Justine and Matt about my day, did a little intranet browsing and went to bed. Completely knackered, didn’t wake up once all night.

Saturday

Channeling our “London market explorer-ness", Justine and I took the bus to Notting Hill Gate to explore the Portobello Road Market. This market is one of the most famous street markets in the world. On this street, we saw tons of stands selling jewelry, tourist souvenirs, hats, dresses, jewelry and other vintage picks.  Antique shops and stalls are the most popular here, especially on a Saturday. But the market is also known not only for its fresh produce and secondhand/ flea market stalls. The market’s vendors are friendly and helpful, offering a wide variety of items. We grabbed a bite for lunch from one of the food vendors that was serving Mediterranean-Middle Eastern inspired foods.


Crepe Stand
Spanish Paella
Bread and Pastry Stand
Fresh produce

In addition to the market, Portobello Road is lined with well-established shops. It’s not your average ‘High Street’ as most are independent stores. We enjoyed perusing through these stores as well on our walk down Portobello Road, mainly when the next sprits of rain were swiping over us. Portobello Road itself is a long, narrow street, which stretches over two miles. So there was plenty to see! One of my favorite parts of the street was the houses. They were cute and colorful; mint green, canary yellow, baby blue, lavender, carnation and cream colored. 

If you become leery at the thought of crowds, you may want to rethink this one. The initial stroll from the Notting Hill tube station or bus stop won’t prepare you for the seemingly endless line of vendors along Portobello Road. You will see the crowd of people heading to the market. Jazz quartets helped create a welcoming environment. While it’s certainly heaving with tourists, I can definitely say that Portobello Road Market is a London institution.

At the end of our stroll down the Portobello Road Market, we turned onto another street and decided to wander. Next thing we know…an extremely heavy London downpour #classicLondon. As I’m sure you already know, London weather can be quite unpredictable. You can experience four seasons in one day. As a Londoner, I now carry both my sunglasses and umbrella. We ducked and covered for a bus, which then terminated two stops later, so we took the tube to Marble Arch. When we got out of the Oxford Circus tube station it was bright sunshine; so strange. Both in need of a little warmth (wet rain tend to give us a chill down our spines) and caffeine we stopped for some cappuccinos before a short walk around Primark. We then boarded the bus at Marble Arch and headed back to Kilburn. Friday’s traveling and working caught up to me, so I took a much-needed nap when we got home.

Fortunately when it came time for us to go out Saturday night, the rain Gods were not being cynical. Proud Camden was our spot for the night. The club is situated in the old Grad II Horse Hospital in the Stables Market of Camden. The venue has definitely been systematically designed and restored, while retaining many of the beautiful and genuine features such as the original stables that once housed the horses. Wild; that’s my initial response to the place. The music is eclectic and the performances were interesting to say the least. Incredible night with awesome dance music and people all around!

Sunday

This week’s choice for our Sunday mass venture was St. Francis of Asssisi Church in Notting Hill. Dear Notting Hill, You make me smile and I want to own a house here. Notting Hill is an area in West London, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. (P.S. This is the area we came to yesterday for Portobello Market.) The celebrant was both humorous and sincere. He preached a wonderful homily on the Most Holy Trinity. At the closing of the mass he made a joke about waiting another year for someone to take him out to dinner and treat him on 'Father's Day'. The parish community was international and compiled of many regular worshippers from around the area. The interior of the church is designed with simple luminous paintings and other decorate details, not too overwhelming but nonetheless stunning. 


12:30 and tummies were rumblin’. We did a little walking up and down about two blocks and chose Paul London, a French mini-chain. We both wanted a good coffee and cappuccino with our meal. Paul definitely measured up to that request as well as delicious food. Justine ordered the Tomato Mozzarella Pesto Sandwich, and I ordered the Nicoise Salad (I’m on a tuna salad kick). This patisserie has an extensive selection of breads, sandwiches, salads, quiches, pastries and cakes. With a great staff and gorgeous food, it was like being in a friendly and familiar part of France.


Having already fallen in love with the Notting Hill area we decided to just walk down a few blocks and see what we stumbled upon. From its cafés, pubs, and restaurants to its boutique shops, Notting Hill holds much for all interests. As we kept walking, we approached the Shephard’s Bush area of West London and came across the Westfield Shopping Center. Since our dues were not enough to the rain gods as we crossed the street to where the mall was, we decided to stop in. Little did we know until research after, that the mall is one of the largest in Europe at a whopping 150,000 square-meters. This place is a must stop for luxury lovers as it features premium brands. With a distinctive mix and match of designer labels, the Westfield Shopping Center offers a unique shopping experience. My favorite element of the mall is glass roof covering of a central atrium and chandelier lit design. 

Now its time for some rest before another Monday, marking the start of another work week. Hope you all enjoyed the post. Comments are greatly encouraged! Cheers everyone!

“Where there is charity and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance. 
Where there is patience and humility, there is neither anger nor vexation. 
Where there is poverty and joy, there is neither greed nor avarice. 
Where there is peace and meditation, there is neither anxiety nor doubt.”
- St. Francis of Assisi





No comments:

Post a Comment