Saturday, July 9, 2011

Got my dreams, got my life, got my love

On Tuesday following a night out celebrating Indepedence Day with friends, a few of us went to Nando’s for dinner after work.

Nando’s has been on the list of restaurants to try since I arrived because everyone raves about it here. (I know there are some in DC too.) Nando’s had quality food, friendly staff, quick service and excellent value. It was a great place for the four of us to meet up and eat. As I read some signs in the restaurant I read that each Nando’s is tailored to its local surroundings and customers. I think that’s a great feature because it offers up a unique restaurant experience to go with the equally unique taste of their legendary, Portugese, Peri-Peri chicken. The chicken is super fresh and marinated for 24 hours in a secret, now not so secret, brew called peri-peri and then it is cooked to your liking over an open flame. Word of advice: go with 1+ people that have been there before and know how the menu works or don’t be afraid to ask the waiter/waitress for advice.

About two weeks before the school year ended we received an email from ESU. The English Speaking Union is an international educational charity that is aimed at bringing together and empowering people of all different languages and cultures. Their goal is to build skills and confidence in communication such that individuals realize their potential. ESU has almost 40 branches in the UK and over 50 international branches in countries around the world. ESU promotes a variety of activities such as debating, public speaking, conferences, seminars and student exchange programs. Lord Cormack is in close connection with the ESU and particularly close with Lord Hunt, the chairman of ESU. ESU endorses parliamentary exchange programs where they place about 12 British students in the offices of US Congress members and in turn places American and French students in the offices of MPs at Westminster.

The email we received from ESU that day back in late April was an invitation to the House of Lords Tea Party and Boat Trip. Lord Hunt of Wirral hosted the annual event. In years past, the event was only afternoon tea. However this year for the first time, an exclusive boat trip prior to afternoon tea set off from Westminster Pier and we cruised along the Thames to Greenwich and then returned. Following the boat cruise we all gathered on the House of Lords terrace. There were individual tables, all decked with tea, sandwiches, scones, and cakes. It was a magnificent event especially because I met two women who were born and raised near me at home in Philadelphia. Beriah, Justine and myself first talked to one of the ladies on the boat cruise when we were waiting in the queue for some coffee and snacks. As we strolled to the House of Lords terrace and entered the beautifully decorated tents, the three of us were told to not sit together and spread ourselves out. So I sat next to my new friend from the boat cruise! Her friend joined at that point and we had a wonderful time chatting about the US, the UK, education, fashion over the delicious tea and treats. Us girls all swapped emails making the ESU vision to provide networking opportunities a reality. Mid way through the event, Lord Hunt spoke before the guests. At one point he said, “We are thrilled to have our American interns here with us today (and then said all of our names and what we have been doing).” Being mentioned by Lord Hunt to all of these people gathered on the terrace was so surreal and special.


Justine and I with the London Eye behind us
Directly in front of Tower Bridge on the boat
Tower Bridge
After the Tea Party, I met up with a close Parliament friend. We went to dinner in Piccadilly Circus to a restaurant called Busaba. Easily one of the best Thai restaurants in London and earns a ranking in my TOP 10 London Restaurant meals. I can’t say enough good things about it. Awesome atmosphere; fresh and modern. The interiors, with dark oriental woods and low lighting created a sultry, exotic tone in the communal dining space. Service was good-natured, fast and efficient. But it is the kitchen that’s winning plaudits. The two of us shared the Green vegetable curry (with Thai aubergine, corn and coconut hearts), Red lamb curry (with lychee and cherry tomato), Thai calamari (with ginger and peppercorn), Jasmine rice, and a bottle of Sauvignon Black False Bay, S.Africa. Textures and flavors married beautifully. The colors and presentation were dazzling. The menu offers a wide selection of Thai and Asian cuisine with some very interesting options. The food was very tasty, and spicy with lots of different flavors.

Thursday = Library day. There was not much to do in the office, and the House had already sat earlier in the day so I took to time to do research in the House of Commons library. Again, the man who I think did not take a typing class was there. He was pressing every key with one finger. Yikes. Thursday night we went to Sports for the second to last time. It was nice seeing the group of doorkeepers in the corner chatting. They are all older men, who are so stern during their workdays but come the end of the day they are a socializing and entertaining bunch. Sports & Social is such a great social gathering place in Parliament especially because I get to meet up with Parliament friends after work and also make more friends from being there.   

Last night after work, I met up with one of David’s constituents, Julian, who I had met when I did my visit to Southend-West. He recently, this week actually, started a new job near Westminster. We talked back and forth this week and planned to meet after work on Friday outside Westminster. After meeting up there we headed off to Covent Garden for dinner at Carluccio’s. Since Covent Garden, Leichester Square and Piccadilly Circus are all so close to one another, we walked around and popped into O’Neills for a little bit. Chatting with a constituent of David’s, who is not one of the staff in my office, over dinner and drinks was really incredible. It shows me how when you take full advantage of positive networking and opportunities and you are respectful towards others, great friendships can emerge. 

Hard to believe that this time next week I will be sitting in my hotel room near Heathrow Airport waiting for Sunday to come when I fly back to the States. 


Got my dream, got my life, got my love
Got my friends, got the sunshine above
Why am I making this hard on myself
When there's so many reasons I have to be happy
Natasha Bedingfield, "Happy"




No comments:

Post a Comment