Saturday, July 16, 2011

Every ending is a new beginning

Thursday

Part of our course here with Lord Cormack is a final interview with him. Thursday morning I went to Parliament a little bit earlier to have my one-on-one time with him. He asked me to share my favorite Parliament moments. PMQs, visiting Southend, meeting David Cameron, Clock Tower tour, and committee meetings are my top five. Of course going to Sports & Social is a favorite of mine as well. Coming into my internship each day, strolling around the beautiful estate, gazing at its greatness, and walking amongst some of the brightest and most important people of the UK is a unique opportunity. 

After my interview with Lord Cormack I returned to the office. I was put in charge of the phones Thursday morning, as the others needed to have a staff meeting with David.  I was excited because I enjoy answering the phone (and secretly checking the time to make sure I am correct in saying good morning or afternoon). Although answering the phone is a small task, its performed numerous times a day. Telephone conversations are often the primary means of communicating with constituents (or any type of client) - so its important that you make them feel taken care of and well informed. Even when I could not be of immediate help for them, I still enjoyed taking a message and reporting the calls to the rest of Team Amess. 

Elliott and I went took the tube to Victoria station and had lunch together there. After lunch we took the tube back to Westminster. It was such a beautiful day on Thursday so it was a nice chance to get a little time away from the estate and savor the sunshine. Elliott knew I wanted to stop into the Westminster Abbey shop so we went there before heading back to the office.   

Late in the afternoon Elliott and I joined David at two receptions. Division was called right before we went to the first one so he told us to meet him there. (FYI: When a division is called, bells located throughout the Parliamentary estate and surrounding premises ring and the TV screens have a specialized feed to notify members that a division is taking place. Also, only Members are allowed to use the lifts when a division is called.) We went to the HOC Terrace, waited outside the tent for David, and then walked into the reception with him. This one was for National Grid, which was promoting its Young Offender Program. National Grid has pioneered business involvement in the rehabilitation of offenders. It is in partnership with over 80 companies across all industries in the UK. Over 1,500 offenders have now gone through the Young Offenders Program. The program is engaged with over 22 prisons: both adult and young offender establishments. I find this scheme to be a highly effective one. I remember Ken Clark (Justice Secretary) saying in the chamber on 29 June that tackling re offending of criminals is a major concern in improving the justice system and preventing crime. He said, "We need intelligent, radical reform of the justice system to protect and serve the needs of members of law-abiding society."

The second reception that we went to was for Airwave. Elliott took a picture of David with the Airwave representatives. David had to return to the office to speak with someone about his upcoming trip to Iraq so he told Elliott and I to enjoy ourselves at the reception. We satisfied our sweet tooth with a French Fancy. I feel like a princess when I pick them up and bite into them. After a little time chatting at the reception we walked around the estate; savoring the sunshine again. When we retuned to the office, David surprised me with champagne and snacks to celebrate me. I nearly got teary when they all toasted to me. He gave me a wonderful painting of Westminster along with a card that had a touching message written inside. Laura, Gareth, Fey and Elliott also gave me a card, each writing a special note inside, and a House of Commons flask. Here I am in my MP’s office with him and the staff, sitting around the table, laughing, enjoying champagne, sharing corridor gossip, and celebrating me. Pinch me. Being that it was Thursday of course Gareth, Elliott, Laura, her close friend Lucy and myself went to Sports after work. We also stopped into the Lord’s tub for a little bit and then back to Sports. It was a great night; I am going to miss Thursdays in Parliament!

Even though Thursday was supposed to be my last day of work, I went in on Friday. I banged out a stack of casework on my last day. Amongst the stack of responses, there were two concerning constituents that I met when I went to surgery with David in June. (For the sake of confidentiality I will abbreviate names.) Ms. M, a recent university graduate, had come to surgery seeking David’s help in finding employment as a social worker. We followed this with making representations on her behalf to the council. The letter I had dealt with on Friday was a response from S-o-S, stating the council is going to assisted her and there are great opportunities in store for her. The second constituent, Mrs. G serves as a foster parent to children with medical problems. She has housed and parented a number of children who have gone on to bright futures. Mrs. G came to David that Friday asking for assistance with the boy she was currently caring for and housing. At the time of the surgery, there were no weekday, daytime activities for the boy to participate in and being that Mrs. G works during the day this was an obstacle. The letter I read on Friday regarding her case was a positive response from the council as well stating that daytime activities are now being formed.  Once Mrs. G and her foster child return from their holiday and meet with his social worker, he will be able to partake in these activities. Receiving these two letters was an encouragement and a boost in spirits for me. Meeting these two constituents back in June, I understand their struggles and obviously wished the best for them. Then on my last day receiving responses from third parties, who indicated that positive opportunities lie ahead for them was elevating. I was able to see their cases through and to a positive side.

Casework completed and five bells chiming from Big Ben the sadness was setting in. I piled my letters into the red tray for David to sign, took pictures with Team Amess, turned in my pass and hugged everyone goodbye. I admire these people so much! Having become so close to them, saying goodbye was hard. I took the lift down to the Ground floor, said my farewell to my favorite postman Garry, went through the matrix security window and made my way out of 1 Parliament Street.

Justine and I enjoyed our last dinner in Kilburn at our favorite local pub: the Queen’s Arms. Being the sweetheart she is, Justine bought some dessert for Matt, herself and I: little mini strawberry cheesecake cups. Delicious. Then came the dreaded task of packing. Yet, we watched Spanglish and laughed as we stuffed our suitcases and talked to ourselves about how we going to fit everything. Well, I talked to myself. Trying not to get sappy, we reminisced about the wonderful moments we’ve shared together at Penthouse roommates (we lived on the fourth floor of our flat).
Saturday

Move out day. Justine and Matt made their way out in the early hours of the morning. I woke up a couple hours later, booked a Dial-a-Cab online and finished up the rest of my packing. Thank goodness for Beriah, who carried my two heavy suitcases down stairs. True gentlemen. With my knee being all banged up, I am so happy I had his help. Oh yeah forget to tell you, fell down the escalator the other day, yikes. I said my goodbyes to Beriah and his friends from Dublin who were staying with us and made my way to the corner of the Kilburn High Road to be picked up by my cab driver. My cab driver was so helpful with my suitcases and we had a great conversation the whole way to Hilton Heathrow. Once I got to the hotel I made a few calls back home, Mom & Dad, Andrew and Ashley :)

A few days ago all I could think about was how I wanted the days to pass by slowly. Now that I am in my Hilton hotel room, with my flight tomorrow afternoon, all I want is for the time to pass quickly so I can be wrapped up the arms of my family!


Where we love is home,

Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.

- Oliver Wendell Holmes

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice coming home after a long journey, sounds like you've had an amazing experience though!
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete