Saturday, July 9, 2011

Strolling around the Borough

Like many big cities, Saturdays are branded as market days here in London. Around noon I headed over to Borough Market. When I made my way out of the London Bridge station, I saw the extensive queue outside the London Dungeon. Just want to say, this place scarred me nine years ago.)  After glancing at the people who had no idea what they were in store for I strolled over to Borough Market.

Borough Market is set beneath the railway viaducts between the river Thames and Borough High Street in South East London. It sprawls around an atmospheric series of mazy streets and walkways. There is also a labyrinthine central area where there are two more self-contained markets. The Market’s gourmet food market consists of up to nearly 100 stalls and stands. What’s interesting is that there are also restaurants or food markets that have a legitimate dwelling place so they are intermixed with the Thurs-Saturday producers. These producers bring a range of fresh produce to the market, including fish, meats, vegetables, ciders, olives, cheese, breads, coffees, teas, cakes and patisseries. Some stalls specialize in produce imported from abroad.

As I made my way up the walkway no.1 (with many to follow), I could smell the sizzling meats from the road and followed my nose to see what was going on. I came across The Guildable Manor. Then my eyes were fixed on the long queue. I figured if the queue is that long and people are willing to wait, it must be good. First off, I have to note that this isn’t a formal restaurant but rather a pop-up stall. To make use of my waiting time, I called the shore and caught up with Mom. Of course, she was next off to a bike ride with Dad along Ocean Drive. Before I knew it, it was my time to order. I ordered a Chicken Baguette. The chicken was marinated in lemon, parsley & fresh garlic. Baguettes come with baby leaf salad, sweet red onions and handmade coleslaw. Once you have your meat and baguette, you can pick from a variety of sauces ranging from harissa to salsa verde to aioli to sweet chili. I opted for the Harissa as I love a little spice as well as the Sweet Chili Sauce to calm it down a little bit. The chicken was tender and flavorful and the sauces exceptional. The meat was cooked just long enough to release the great taste without going into the tough and chewy territory. The veggies were super fresh, providing a range of textures to contrast the tender meat and super fluffy bread. It was tasty, luscious and mouth-watering. For £4.50 it’s a solid lunch that will keep you pretty full.





After walking around after my lunch, I enjoyed a refreshing Apple, Pear & Mint juice, made to order from The Total Organic Juice Bar. The juice bar uses all organic fruits and vegetables; the only thing the stand grows is the wheatgrass. All the other fruits and vegetables are bought from organic farmers. I spoke with the man that was making my juice a little bit about the business and what makes them stand out. He said, “It’s really important to use organic because it’s more sustainable and has less impact on the environment. You all feel good about drinking it.” The verdict: delicious and cool.



My other purchases at Borough Market were: brownies and blondies from The Cinnamon Bakery stall, West Country Preserving Company’s Gooseberry and Elderflower Jam, a Borough Market shopping bag, Tikka Masala spice mix from the Spice World stand and an orchid! 

No comments:

Post a Comment