Sunday, May 22, 2011

Keeping on the sunny side, walking through Royal Gardens

I believe that there is a reason why God puts you in the circumstances that you are in. Those points in time can be joyful, challenging, or just indifferent. My hope is that I learn to recognize that God wants me to learn from these moments. Challenging moments have taught me my strength and perseverance. Joyful moments have showed me to not take myself too seriously and to savor the beauties of life. Life is full of countless blessings that God gives us. It’s definitely hard to appreciate, or even notice them when the craziness of schedules, deadlines, and countless emotions encircle us. Being busy is good for me because it helps me not focus on silly stuff or insecurities. So I have found that I recognize the blessings more in retrospect.

Right now however as I am in London for this expanded period of time, I am recognizing the absolute beauty of this city and the experiences that are available to each individual. My wish is that this increases more and more. I am so anxious for the Parliamentary occasions that are in store and the many adventures my flat mates and I take. Not many people get to study abroad, or even travel abroad, outside of their country. I am so grateful for this experience that my parents have given me and God has made possible to happen.   

Yesterday afternoon, we decided to go to Hyde Park. It was a nice start to our touristy adventures especially because it was the warmest day since we first got here a week ago. (Commercial: been here for a week already, oh Queen Mum!) The entrance of the park started with the Italian Gardens, to a walk alongside the Long Water. Seeing the Peter Pan statue made me think of my Mom. She and I came to Hyde Park together one afternoon when my family visited London nine years ago. If you know me, you know that my family is most important element of my life. So of course little things like this get me all sentimental. 


We continued to walk through Hyde Park and watched the countless kids and parents playing by the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain. Diana would probably smile over the playing and laughing that happens at this fountain. It’s exactly what she would have wanted. Kensington Gardens is right next to Hyde Park so we walked over there. We made our way through the gardens, around the Round Pond to the front of Kensington Palace. The grounds surrounding the Palace are gorgeous and pictures were a must underneath the beautiful vine archways. I do need to mention there was a man that was sitting on a stone bench in the garden right in front of the palace who was feeding a squirrel. I have dubbed him "The Squirrel Whisperer."

  
As we were making our way out of the gardens, it became even more clear that they are particular popular for sunbathing and picnics in the fine weather. There were also lots of joggers and runners along the gravel paths. Exiting the gardens we walked through the borough of Kensington. I could see myself living in a little flat here, which I will probably say again about another area of London in the future. Lots of shops, florists, Italian restaurants and cafes. We had a nice dinner at Carluccios and then did a little more strolling around the high road before returning back to Kilburn.



Sunday morning we all slept in which was much needed. Still working on adjusting to our new UK clocks. It’ll kick in soon, maybe. Talked a lot about trips and adventures we want to take. There are so many places and happenings and so little time. Justine and myself went to Our Lady Queen of Heaven in Queensway for the 4:30 mass. The people could not really hold a tune very well and we had a difficult time understanding the woman reading. Yet, the priest really surprised us with his heartfelt and insightful homily. One thing he said that really stuck out was “We do not have the Truth, the Truth has us.” Pretty powerful. In the Gospel Jesus tells his Apostles to put their faith in him, for He is “the way, the truth, and the life.” The celebrant distinguished each one of these in his homily. It made me reflect upon them myself. He is the way because He is the path that leads us to the Father. He is the Truth because He gives us meaning to our human existence. And He is the Life because He is the source of eternal joy and strength. We must renew our faith in Him and put all our hope in his promises. After mass, Justine and I strolled around Queensway’s Queensway Road. Found an awesome deal of 15 postcards for 1, #winning. So many souvenirs commemorating the Royal Wedding. Yeah, its still going strong over here. It’s going to be our Sunday ritual that we attend a different churches service each Sunday and then explore the neighborhood and places around it after. Love Justine as my London roommate by the way! 



After about an hour we returned to Kilburn. Each of us cooked or re-heated in tonight. It was a good night to do some researching, writing and just chilling out. We planned things to do during the week after all of us are done at Parliament. Looking forward to all of them!


Tomorrow I start my first full week of interning. I am so excited! Wednesday President Obama is addressing the two houses. Anxious to hear what the commentary is about the President over here from the British perspective. Talked with Elliot and Laura about what Brits think of American politics a lot on Friday. I imagine we are going to have loads more to discuss this week! David has preparation for adjournments tomorrow I believe, which will be interesting to learn about for sure!  Justine and I have been typing away and now its bedtime!

Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment