Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recess: Parliament's out

Parliament has gone into recess. What does that mean for the staff? Casual dress. Did I know this? No. I came in dressed as spiffy as I always do but now it really stands out. But I am not entirely sure if the “standing out” in this case is good or bad? Either way I am going to continue to keep it business casual. You never know when an opportunity might arise and a more refined look is necessary. 

While I know what the Parliamentary term for recess means, I have to admit from time to time I think of this when I hear the word.

Literally demolished a stack of casework today, all of which were response letters to the constituents. It felt good looking at a constituents surname and recognizing it (after only a week or so of working in the office). Again, the subjects of the cases were wide ranging. Some cases a short history of correspondence. Others have a massive record of letters from and between David, the constituent, and various departments and institutions. When I start reading a response letter, I always think, “Is the constituent going to satisfied with this?” The indications that they will or will not are obvious when you read a letter. For obvious reasons, I cannot tell you specifics, but some cases are rather difficult. Some constituents are dealing with large loopholes and just trying to get answers. Regarding a different form of communication, one of my office managers was on the phone with a handful of constituents today that rang about their pressing issue. You could tell that these issues were pressing because he then rang the associated third parties in order to get clarity on what was happening and how to move forward.

Working with this database/software, CMITS that I mentioned before has taught me some new MP office terms. If the review date for the department, employer, police, council, etc. is overdue and we are still waiting for a reply, we do a chase up letter or call. This means that we write to them again or call their office asking them if they have received the letter and if so why they have not responded yet.

What is useful for our office to receive is a holding letter from the corresponding centers. This type of letter is an acknowledgement that the letter has been received, investigation has commenced and they will respond with x amount of days. Usually it is 14 days. This helps in the evaluation of how to handle the chase up. Good case management is vital to an effective MP’s office. I know part of this post has seemed a bit humdrum but I thought I would give some more details to what I am working on with casework.  

As always in London the weather was in and out, at least for part of the day today. In the morning on the way to Parliament: beautiful. At noon: pouring; in fact hailing at one point. After 13:00: gorgeous! At 17:00 Justine and I both got out of the office. We took the tube to Covent Garden to stroll around for bit before she went off to LSE for a lecture. Both of us made great purchases at Tea Palace where it was 25% off everything! I am excited to bring my tea to work. Laura told me I need to get into English Breakfast, but I'm still getting used to drinking more tea. When Justine left for LSE I, of course, looked at shoes in the cute little shops. I plan on going back these shoes shops and buying, I mean trying on, a few pairs (wink wink). Also took a little peek inside the internationally loved Laduree before returning home. The baked goods look heavenly and the decor is sublime. Covent Garden was certainly bustling today. So many people were out and about when we got there. I am excited for when the weather warms up a tad more and we will be sitting outside the pubs and restaurants in the late afternoon and night after work.

Cheers!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment