Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Obama and Magna Carta

Shortly after I went to grab lunch today David came into the office. He said that as soon as I get my Member Pass, Paul will take me all around Parliament. Now, if only that were a quicker process. So many documents have been involved in this internship, so I guess I am not that surprised that this isn’t a streamlined process either.


David participated in Minister questioning today. Luckily there was a live feed that we were able to watch him. I overhead some people around the building saying that they felt today’s questioning was like the old days: meaning a bit of a shouting match. Didn't seem too crazy to me, but who knows?

Obama arrived in the UK today (or even late last night I believe from what I read in this morning’s Metro newspaper on the way to the office). We all watched the motorcade pass by our Parliament building twice. The view of down below and the area in general from David’s terrace are really spectacular. The security is getting pretty tight as expected. Whenever we heard the helicopters we knew he was coming around soon.

After interning today, Justine and I met in the lobby of our building and went to dinner in Parliament. There are lots of great places to dine and drink in the buildings. While we were waiting for the dinner dishes to be put out, Justine took me around where she has to go usually for posting and delivery. Since her MP’s office is not connected to the staff office, she has a lot of errands to run during the day. Stopped by the Parliament Post Office because she needed some stamps. We were hoping they would offer William & Kate stamps. No luck. Surprising because almost every souvenir shop has something commemorating the Royal Wedding.

The dining area that we ate in is called “Debate”. Diagonal from it there is a Members only dining are called “Adjournment”. How Parliamentary. I had a pretty sophisticated meal for 5. Took a picture, of course, so I could show you what I mean. I definitely plan on going back to try some other dishes and specials.


On our way to the tube station, I snapped a picture of Big Ben and the Palace. It was just so beautiful today that I could not help but gaze at it in amazement.



Our exploration destination (I like the way that sounds) for today was the British Library in St. Pancras-King’s Cross. Getting there was confusing at first because finding the stop on the map is half the battle and then planning out the route is the other. People who think the DC metro map is complex are in for a surprise.  Here is a map if you’re interested. The borough of St. Pancras does have some typical city like neighborhood parts but there are a few buildings that are actually stunning.




The general public does not have access to the stacks at the British Library unless you have a Reader Pass. No worries, because the exhibition galleries are open to everyone and the “Sir John Ritblat Gallery” is what we came to see. It is home to some of the library, as well as the world’s greatest treasures. The items, sacred texts from many faiths, maps, literary, historical and musical works, are beautiful and fascinating. I learned that for preservation reasons the lighting and temperature levels of the gallery need to be kept low and items may be changed from time to time. Some highlights were: Magna Carta, the Revelation of St. John, Manuscripts of the Beatles’ Ticket to Ride, Help, the third volume of Jane Austen’s notebook, Charlotte Bronte’s “Jane Eyre”, and Virginia Woolf’s “Mrs. Dalloway”. It was surely a good day to do some exploring of London. Amazing sights all around in this city.


May your joys be as bright as the morning, your years of happiness as numerous as the stars in the heavens, and your troubles but shadows that fade in the sunlight of love. 
- Old English Blessing

Cheerio!








No comments:

Post a Comment