Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Yes! I'm alive!

Now that I am able to get on our PogoLink network here in the flat, I can finally update you! The past few days have been full of getting settled into our flat and temp lifestyle but lots of excitement!


Flight was smooth. I didn't sleep, but it made really crashing the next night possible. I am so lucky to have had Dad here to get me situated the first 1-2 days. It worked out really nicely that he had to come over for work. During the day on Saturday we went to the Mayfair, dropped off the bags, went to lunch, went to get the keys at the Umi Hotel, went back to Mayfair, got my bags, and took a cab to our flat here in Kilburn. We were all over the place! What was really nice was when I got to the flat, Matt was here, and we went next store and then to dinner the three of us. It was a nice time to just relax after all the hype of the day. Stayed at the Mayfair Saturday night. Dad and I went to the Church of the Immaculate Conception on Farm Street  Sunday morning, so appropriate coming from the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception back at CUA. Then it was off to brunch at The Only Running Footman. Food was good and the service was great (girl was very nice, Dad actually has had her wait on him before). Only turn off: the coffee was too strong! Coming from a coffee addict.


Sunday night was the first night we were all together in the flat. We went next door to our flat to a little pub called the Queens Arms. The owner is so friendly! I told him last night that the tomato soup and crusty bread is my new favorite thing there. Its nice having a little place like this next to us that we can call "our place". We hope to have a little gathering at the flat with Zimmy sometime in the future!


Monday we had our BUNAC Orientation over in the London area of Clerkenwell. It was a fairly quieter part of London but nevertheless interesting. Before our orientation appointment we went to The Grubbery, a little pub across the street for lunch. Molly and I both got the eggplant, tomato and mozzarella tower salad. Delish! Then it was literally 5 steps across the street to the BUNAC Headquarters. These people are really helpful and nice! It is really wonderful to be set up as an Intern in the UK through them. They are wonderful people and want everyone to have a great experience. The orientation covered lots of topics (many which we already we talking about amongst each other), like traveling, difference in sense of humor, our Oyster cards, dos and do nots, etc. BUNAC offers a lot of social programs throughout the summer. I hope to attend a few of them if I can. We ended up chilling at the BUNAC headquarters in their "media" lab and we were all able to get on the internet and take care of some things (me it was my international email on my BB and finally calling Mom). Earlier in the day, we did actually all go to Vodafone together. Four of us need a temp phone for calling/texting one another so we signed up for a family plan together.  After all, we are a family now! Monday night we met up with some people in Piccadilly Circus at O'Neills. The whole atmosphere is quite lovely. The live band that night was fantastic! Got the whole place going! We had a really splendid time out together, definitely a night that I am going to remember!


Yesterday was another kind of loveliness and awesomeness in its own way. We went to our meet and greet with Lord Cormack in the House of Lords in Parliament. Thank goodness we all traveled together because it can be quite confusing and overwhelming, the houses of Parliament are just huge! We got through security fairly quickly, and with a few questions here and there we found him. He is such a sweet man, very kind and very smart! I look forward to my seminars with him. The building is just magnificent. It has its own traditional character. Funny seeing advances in technology within; there consistently updated electronic boards with the committee meetings happening and other events. I am so excited to go to my first day with David's office tomorrow! After our meet up with him, Matt, Beriah and myself walked to the National Gallery and strolled around there a bit while some others did a quick meet up with their offices. The walk from Parliament to the National Gallery is breath-taking because of all the (government related) important buildings you pass and the history behind them all. After we walked back from the National Gallery, Beriah, Molly and myself had lunch at St. Stephen's. It was a little tight, or "cozy" as Beriah said, in there but I definitely can see myself stopping by there after work again someday.


Tonight the flat is meeting up with Dad for dinner. I'm excited for all of us to go out for a nice dinner together.


London is such an incredible place. There is so much history behind it and it really is unique in its own special way. I absolutely love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment